Crossing students pose hazard to traffic

By Sean Thomas

Although college students are notorious for crossing busy campus streets without regard to traffic, the epidemic is a problem for drivers.

Often, many students wander into streets ignoring oncoming traffic and the threat to safety, creating hassles and headaches for bus drivers and other pedestrians.

Huskie Bus Line Manager Charles Battista said student congestion in heavy traffic areas is a constant problem.

“It sure does make it hard for bus traffic to arrive on time in certain areas, but what can you do?” Battista said.

“When we train our drivers, we make sure they understand that they will be immersed in student movement at every angle,” he said. “We have speed limits that we strictly enforce around the Normal Road turnaround, and backing up is not allowed.”

The intersection of Normal Road and Lucinda Avenue is especially hazardous, said NIU Traffic Control Officer Leonard Grzesiak.

“A couple of accidents involving students who were hit by vehicles at that intersection resulted in some very serious injuries,” Grzesiak said.

The last accident involving a pedestrian and a car occured July 14. A high school cheerleader attending cheerleading camp at NIU was hit by a car as she stepped off a curb on Stadium Drive North.

“I’m really amazed at how few accidents we have relative to the volume of student and vehicle traffic on campus,” Grzesiak said.

Nevertheless, Grzesiak said plans are underway to erect a four-foot wall beginning at Holmes Student Center and.