Room temperature stable

By Rebecca Bahr

Despite the sudden change in weather during the weekend, the NIU heating plant received few complaints Monday about temperatures in NIU classrooms.

The weekend’s cold snap could mean that cooler temperatures are on the way and students are wondering when to expect the change from air conditioning to heat in buildings on campus.

Tony Coyle, NIU Physical Plant chief operating engineer, said the change usually does not occur until the first or second week in October, or until temperatures reach a stable 60 degrees.

The drop in temperature over the past few days will not trigger any mass move to shut down air conditioning units on campus yet, he said. Temperatures are expected to edge up to the low 70s again for the rest of the week with increased humidity.

Coyle said newer campus buildings have central air units installed, so regulating temperatures hasn’t been a problem. The newer buildings are capable of running on a day-to-day basis and have partial heat on at all times which helps to keep temperatures moderated, even with unexpected extremes in weather.

However, the residence halls and other older buildings such as Graham Hall, Wirtz Hall and Lowden Hall must either use heating or cooling depending on outdoor conditions.