Election day sees low turnout

By Lisa Ferro

Not enough campaigning is the likely reason for the dismal voter turnout Wednesday in the Student Association’s senate elections.

“The candidates didn’t get their campaigning across today,” said SA Elections Commissioner Alfred Tatum. There wasn’t enough campaigning, he said.

Poll worker Lisa Lock agreed. “They (the candidates) must not have been selling themselves because a lot of people don’t know who they are,” she said.

Another reason for low voter turnout is students forgot their IDs, Tatum said.

However, Tatum expects voter turnout to pick up today. “The word is getting out and a lot of people are becoming aware of it (the elections) now.”

Poll workers Robert Grimes and Maria Waller were stationed in DuSable Hall, which had a steady flow of students between classes.

“Between class it is busy here, but during class there are only one or two people stopping,” Grimes said.

The poll workers had to explain the voting process to many students. Some voters didn’t know how many students they could elect.

Poll worker Mileau Hudson said voting was running smoothly in the Pow Wow Cafeteria, where most of the students voting were from District 2.

“Everyone had their ID and the off-campus people who didn’t have their stickers yet had their schedule,” Hudson said.

However, some of the people walking by had no idea about the election, Hudson said.

“I don’t know where the polling places are at or who the candidates are,” said junior Scott Wiegmann, 20, operations management major.

Wiegmann, who said he also isn’t registered to vote in the local elections, said politicians in general “have good intentions of what they’re trying to do, but they don’t care about anyone else’s points of view.”

Sophomore accounting major Joe Enrique, 20, also doesn’t plan to vote “because I don’t get into political stuff.”

“I think it’s my obligation to vote, seeing as how these are the ones who are in control of my money,” said sophomore Kurt Westhoff, 19, history major.

Elections will continue today in the Pow Wow Cafeteria, DuSable Hall and Founder’s Memorial Library. Polls are open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and a valid student ID or class schedule is required.