Opinions differ on college system

By Heather Hough

Opinions of education officials and students differ concerning how the U.S. college system compares to other nations.

“Ninety-five percent of the kids who go to college in the United States would not be admitted to college anywhere else in the world,” said Albert Shanker, president of the American Federation of Teachers, in a July 12 Chicago Sun-Times article.

“And they (college students in America) learn what they did in high school,” said Jane Usdan from the American Federation of Teachers, replying to president Shanker’s quote.

Mark Thackaberry, NIU’s director of international students and faculty office, said the statistics Shanker used might be correct, but he disagrees with how Shanker interpretated them.

Thackaberry said one reason the statistics show other nation’s colleges would not admit American students is that colleges in underdeveloped countries do not have space for many students.

Also, in some European countries college is “meant for the elite,” he said. He said more of the American population is educated than other nation’s.

Thackaberry said in America education is used as a means of social change, unlike other countries.

Michael Simantiras, an international graduate student who went to school in Greece, said in Europe “it’s easier” to go to college and it is not only for the elite.

“In most European countries college is paid for,” Simantiras said. He said in Athens, he did not have to pay for his books or meal plan.

“I don’t think there is incentive for learning” in America and American society is too pleasure orienated, Simantiras said.

America’s cultural view of education is different from the rest of the world, he said. Most kids in the United States grow up with the attitude of “get a grade, not learn.” He said what we need is incentive for learning and to begin to take pleasure in learning.