Corn Fest festivities planned

By Corina Curry

The best little Corn Fest in the Midwest has made its way back to DeKalb for another year of programs and local festivities on Aug. 24, 25 and 26.

A 13-year-old tradition among NIU college students and citizens of DeKalb alike, Corn Fest marks a time of harvesting crops, the end of summer and beginning of the new year.

With a history that dates back to 1926, Corn Fest features free sweet corn on the cob, sidewalk sales, tours, carnivals, contests, live music, and art and antique automobile shows.

According to Carol Halsey, Corn Fest Publicity Chairperson said there will be an “estimated 225,000 visitors” over the three festive days.

Halsey said festivities will begin on Friday with “the biggest sidewalk sale of the season and a carnival located downtown will give young and old kids alike a chance for fun and excitement.”

Also scheduled for Friday is a Corn Fest-Huskie Football Sneak Preview where sports fans will get their chance to meet NIU head football coach Jerry Pettibone and his staff, players, NIU cheerleaders and the Huskie mascot.

Later on Friday evening, Barb Fest activities will begin for high school students including the crowning of a Corn Fest King and Queen and a street dance sponsored by WDEK.

Saturday festivities begin with a County Garage Sale located at the North 6th street and Oak Street parking lot. Also scheduled for Saturday is the 10K Race & 2K Walk/Run, a DeKalb Police Auction and the famous corn boil from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

One of Saturday afternoon’s main attractions will be the Corn Fest sound stage, sponsored by WDEK and Coors Beer. The event will last all day Saturday and Sunday and will include performances by four bands each day.

Dave Bavido, three year executive producer of the sound stage, said, “It took eight months to put this together. The applications for bands started coming in in December last year.”

Bavido has booked various artists to perform Saturday from noon to 7 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the North 2nd and Locust streets parking lot.

“Our goal was to present the widest variety of music available within the budget. The festival is intended for all ages and we needed to gear the acts to accomodate all audiences.

Bands featured throughout the sound stage performance on Saturday are Austin City Limits, a DeKalb based country-western band; Funkhouse; Mr. Meyers, a third-year-in-a-row Corn Fest favorite, and the Spanic Boys, the band which reached national fame when it replaced Sinead O‘ Connor on Saturday Night Live in July.

Sunday’s line-up includes Bucket #6, Deluxury, Pyramid, a 1989 Corn Fest favorite; and legendary Chicago blues performer Lonnie Brooks.

Bavido said all the bands booked for Corn Fest were first checked out live, except for the Spanic Boys. “My main goal for booking the sound stage was to find bands that sounded good live.”

Free shuttle bus service for the festival will be available on Saturday and Sunday afternoons from Clinton-Rosette Middle school to Downtown DeKalb and DeKalb High School.

For a full schedule of events contact the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs or call the Corn Fest Hotline at (815) 748-6755.