CAB Coffeehouse highlights

By Johanna Harris

OK, NIU students. Get out your calendars and make room for some quality social events that will take place on campus in the next few months.

The Campus Activities Board Coffeehouse Committee already has a full schedule of events planned for the fall semester, and here they are:

The first Coffeehouse concert is DeKalb’s favorite blues band, Howard and the White Boys, scheduled for Sept. 12.

Next comes Bell and Shore, a band that mixes blues, bluegrass, folk and country into their music, resulting in a new and exciting sound. They can be seen at the Coffeehouse Sept. 19.

To help celebrate Unity in Diversity Week, the Maxwell Street Klezmer Band, a Yiddish party band, will bring their toe-tapping, happy music to the Coffeehouse Sept. 26.

If you like jazz-rock fusion, be sure to see Bad Dog on Oct. 3. They will definitely heat up this fall night.

On Oct. 10, The Remainders will be in town. This Chicago-based quartet is the pioneer of “gumbo rock,” which mixes Zydeco, Cajun, Afro-Caribbean, ska, and roots rock music together.

Les Murdock, an honest and uncommercial folk balladeer, comes to the Coffeehouse on Oct. 17.

The Balkan Rhythm Band, another Chicago-based group, will be here Oct. 24. Their lively and definitely distinct musical sound is a combination of Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, Greek and Turkish music.

Nov. 7 features Cathy Winter, one of today’s premier folk musicians.

Yet another Chicago group, the Edward Peterson Quintet, will bring their jazz to the Coffeehouse on Nov. 14.

Shanua, an Irish band that blends the old and the new in the form of intrumentation, will present their innovative program at the Coffeehouse on Nov. 28.

Dec. 5, Rhythmic Union will close this fall’s Coffeehouse series. Their special blend of international jazz is influenced by the music and instruments of Africa, India, Brazil and Southeast Asia.

All the Coffeehouse concerts take place Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge. One last piece of information – all these concerts are free.