Registered students can use credit system in fall

By Dana Netzel

Anyone can use the NIU Holmes Student Center bookstore credit system.

Students who register for fall classes by Aug. 20 will be eligible to charge up to $500 from Aug. 20 through Sept. 14.

Those who meet the registration deadline will automatically be included in the computerized system, said Bookstore Director Mitch Keilb. “Once you’re registered, you’re in our system.”

Latecomers can be included if they add their names to the system in the student center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom during late registration, he said.

An Illinois State Law enacted Jan. 1 requires universities creating a credit system only use it for school supplies, art supplies and text books.

However, Keilb said the bookstore will still accept Visa and MasterCharge credit cards for sweatshirts and other items.

Students will receive an invoice requiring full payment within 30 days of the purchase. If not paid, NIU’s standard university interest rate of 1.25 percent will be tacked on to the bill each month, said Student Center Director Judd Baker.

To use the system, students will need only to show their class schedules and a photo ID. Because it is computerized, Keilb said it will be quick and students will not have to wait for approvals.

Baker said the system is simple, but bookstore employees will begin training this summer to become comfortable with it.