Insurance carrier chosen

By Michelle Harris

NIU officials and Student Health Advisory Committee members chose a carrier for 1990-91 student health insurance, but bidding procedures prevent them from announcing it.

The carrier was chosen after bids were compared for about five hours Wednesday.

Dana Mills, University Health Services associate director, said the terms of the chosen bid must first be verified before being accepted by the university. A purchasing department assistant will contact the chosen company to possibly confirm the bid terms today.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Chicago, Fidelity Security and BCS Life Insurance submitted bids by the April 5 deadline.

NIU’s bid specifications requested bidders quote prices for three plans labeled A, B and C, said NIU Insurance Office Manager Regina Crosby.

Plan A is currently in effect and has a $25 deductible per illness, pays 80 percent of normal medical expenses and up to $750 per medical emergency, Crosby said.

Plan B reimburses students for 80 percent of medical costs after total annual medical expenses exceed either $100 or $200, she said.

Crosby said plan C covers expenses the current plan does not, including the cost of bandages, splints, wheelchair rental, convalescent care (such as for amputees), nursing services, ambulance service and hospice stays for the terminally ill.

Mills said plan D is coverage that can be added to base plans A, B or C to raise the maximum coverage per illness from the current $100,000 limit to $250,000.

Crosby said no student ever submitted claims exceeding the per illness limit.