Fraternity holds career conference

By Fred Heuschel

Foreign language students will benefit in the job market if they realize how their studies can help them.

NIU’s foreign language honor fraternity, Phi Sigma Iota, is sponsoring International Career Conference tonight to address job-seeking concerns for foreign language students, said Faculty Adviser Mary Beth Floyd.

“What we’re doing is inviting a panel of guests to come in and speak about the implications of foreign language in their particular fields,” Floyd said.

PSI President Marcie Alexander said she hopes the conference will clear up misconceptions people have about foreign language study.

Alexander said many people think foreign language majors can only work in translation or education. However, she said the conference might make people aware of the need for an understanding of foreign cultures in the job market.

“I hope the conference will encourage students to continue the study of foreign language and let them know there are jobs available after graduation,” Alexander said.

Floyd said people in fields such as banking, publishing, education and social service will explain how foreign languages have impacted their jobs.

“It’s an opportunity for students to get concrete information about their particular field of study,” she said.

She said what PSI is trying to do is encourage the study of foreign language by all students and enhance the foreign language department’s ability to satisfy the needs of foreign language majors.

The conference will be held in the Illinois room of the Holmes Student Center from 7 to 9 p.m. It is free and open to the public.