NIU insurance ‘good deal’

By Michelle Harris

NIU student health insurance is still a good deal, according to local agents’ quotes for similar coverage.

Although NIU’s group student health insurance is slated to increase 80 percent, from $78.40 to about $140 per semester, it will still cost less than individual insurance, many local agents say.

Craig Munson of Munson-Brescia Insurance Agency, 336 E. Lincoln Hwy., DeKalb, said, “Group health insurance rates are based on the group’s own past claims history.”

Insurance plans vary in three ways: the deductible, the amount of coverage and the premium.

Next year’s student insurance will have a $250 per year deductible, $250,000 per illness maximum coverage, and an about $300 per year premium.

The following local agencies gave quotes for policies as close as possible to NIU’s student coverage.

Erika Wallestad of Country Companies Insurance at 444 E. Hillcrest Dr., DeKalb, said her company will insure 18 to 25- year-old males for $624 per year and females for $654 not covering pregnancy. The deductible for this plan is $1,000 per year.

“Female coverage costs more because more can go wrong with women. The possibility of pregnancy-related expenses also raises female premiums,” Wallestad said.

Dennis Crawford of American Family Insurance at 327 Hillcrest Dr., DeKalb, said his company will insure an 18 to 25-year-old male for $656 per year, and the same age female for $880 per year. The deductible for this plan is $25 per occurence.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Rockford offers a plan for individuals up to 29 years old which covers them for a lifetime maximum of $1 million. This costs females $1,296 and males $972 per year. The deductible is $100 per year.