NIU not criticizing U of I for campus project

By Fred Heuschel

NIU is not criticizing the University of Illinois.

A Chicago Tribune article Wednesday stated NIU is criticizing U of I for attempting to dominate a high-tech campus project in DuPage County. But NIU President John La Tourette said NIU is working in collaboration with U of I and the report of criticism is a mistake.

“We’re looking to create a level playing field for all the institutions involved in this project,” La Tourette said.

He said NIU is working with U of I, the Illinois Institute of Technology and DuPage County officials to create a neutral campus to accommodate the growing needs of DuPage County.

La Tourette said he is very satisfied with the working relationship they have had with U of I.

“I think what he (the Chicago Tribune reporter) is referring to is a comment the chancellor made earlier this year. He (Chancellor Roderick Groves) said we might need two sites due to the size of the population in DuPage County.” he said.

NIU Provost Kendall Baker said he has no criticism of U of I, but he said steps are being taken to protect NIU’s interests in the matter.

Baker said NIU has been attempting to convince the DuPage County officials that NIU is the institution most capable of satisfying their educational needs.

“We’re certainly pleading our case. We’re not going to sit idly by when we could have a major input in this project,” he said.

Baker said NIU was not asked and had no interest in participating in a meeting Wednesday between U of I officials and DuPage County representatives, although he said NIU is “very active in talks about the campus.”