DHS students picket, protest

By Fred Heuschel

Twenty five picket-toting DeKalb High School students cut school Tuesday to protest the firing of a gym teacher.

Teacher Amy Silverman, 25, was informed that her contract with DeKalb High would not be renewed four days after she was arrested for criminal trespass.

Charles McCormick, DeKalb Assistant Superintendent, would not comment on whether the arrest had anything to do with Silverman’s dismissal, but said “She is not being asked to return.”

The reasons for her dismissal will be discussed in closed session meetings, McCormick said. He said Silverman was given a 90 day notice of her firing.

Silverman declined to comment on the matter.

DHS students presented school officials with a list of demands and they refused to enter the building until Assistant Principal Ken Kennedy threatened to suspend them from school.

The students complied and entered Kennedy’s office for a private counsel.

The students left the office 20 minutes later and a shouting match erupted in the lobby between Kennedy and the students.

DHS sophomore Christy Sharp, 15, said their protests were not being taken seriously. “He won’t listen to us because we’re students—it’s like we have no say.”she said.

Kennedy urged the students to achieve their goals through normal channels and to end the protest. “The best way to express yourself is through the system,” he said.

DHS student Stephanie Sudath, 16, said “Isn’t education about fighting for what you want, to get something out of life?”

“There are more effective ways of going about doing it,” Kennedy replied.

Kennedy denied the students’ demand to know why Silverman had been fired, claiming “It’s a private matter and I can’t reveal it in public to protect the rights of the individuals involved.”

The students also listed unsanitary bathrooms, the need for a smoking area and the use of polystyrene in the cafeteria as other motivating factors behind the protest.

The students took their protest across the street to a local supermarket after leaving Kennedy’s office.

DHS Freshman Jamie Powell, 14, said “He (Kennedy) won’t listen to us. He won’t answer my questions directly.”

The protesters plan to attend a Monday school board meeting to air their grievances, Powell said.

Kennedy, who is part of the evaluation staff, said DHS teachers are evaluated at the end of two years, Kennedy said. However, Kennedy would not say whether he evaluated Silverman.

Evaluations are based on a teacher’s organizational skills, grading procedures, material presentation and relations with parents, among other things, he said. However,”there are no hard, fast numbers in evaluations.”

DHS Principal Bernie Loonie was in Chicago addressing a legal matter and was unavailable for comment.

“The students are going to be reviewed individually for disciplinary action,” Kennedy said.