NIU might try to keep funds

By Fred Heuschel

NIU might try to keep the $2 million the legislature set aside for them to buy the Wurlitzer complex after the property is no longer for sale.

NIU President John La Tourette said the appropriation, approved by the state legislature for the Wurlitzer purchase, needs to be re-evaluated after Contel closed a deal to buy the property Monday.

“There is a possibility of taking it back to the legislature and having it reinterpreted,” La Tourette said.

The appropriation was intended to transform the Wurlitzer building at 403 Gurler Road into a research facility for NIU.

Gov. James Thompson will make the final decision on what money, if any, is released to NIU. Thompson has known of the original appropriation since Aug. 25.

Rep. John Countryman, R-DeKalb, said while “anything is possible,” a review of the appropriation is unlikely during this fiscal year ending June 30.

Countryman said a serious reappraisal of NIU’s needs is required. This would reduce the chances of getting the appropriation adjusted before the deadline, he said.

Countryman said “there are all kinds of questions that have to be answered before this could go through.”

He declined to speculate on the appropriation’s future or the possibility of using the money to buy and renovate the Notre Dame High School next to Wurlitzer. Contel bought the high school as part of the Wurlitzer deal.

La Tourette said the money would be used to build a research facility and the high school is not being considered as a possible site.

Contel’s interests have to be considered before NIU tried to get the high school, he said.

“We don’t know what Contel’s interest is in this particular piece of property at this time,” La Tourette said.

Because Contel identified the Wurlitzer building as the site of their new Great Lakes Regional Training Center, “We’ve been addressing this issue on a more intense level of interest,” he said.

La Tourette said Contel would have to be consulted before any action can be taken to the legislature.

Contel Public Affairs Director Gary Dostal said he does not know NIU’s stance on the high school. Contel is focusing on getting the Wurlitzer remodeling project off of the ground.

“We’re elated at this point about getting the purchase (of the Wurlitzer building) finalized and we’re focusing on remodeling right now,” Dostal said.

Contel is expected to bring 300 new jobs to the DeKalb/Sycamore area. State and local funding will also help with infrastructure improvements to accommodate Contel’s needs.

Countryman said both sides need to come to terms about their specific space needs and the amount of space involved.