Businesses respond to city resolution

By Rick Techman

A resolution passed by the DeKalb city council might raise the awareness of local businesses and individuals to environmentally sound alternatives for polystyrene.

The resolution is designed to discourage the use of all non-biodegradeable materials, such as polystyrene and some plastics, in the city.

Seventh Ward Alderman Jeff Monroe, sponsor of the environmental resolution, said “local governments have a responsibility to promote environmental awareness.”

Monroe said his non-binding resolution is intended to “encourage DeKalb businesses and institutions to find environmentally sound alternative packaging” for their products.

“Business is not always receptive to environmental concerns but they are receptive to consumer demand,” Monroe said.

Eduardo’s restaurant Day Manager Jim Balli, 214 E. Lincoln Hwy., said polystyrene is widely used at his restaurant but “we are looking for other products.”

Several environmentally concerned customers have already asked Eduardo’s to wrap their food in polystyrene alternatives.

Monroe said his resolution applies to NIU as well as the city.

“The slow pace of food-packaging reform in the Holmes Student Center” is of particular concern, he said.

Phyllis Roush, Holmes Student Center food service director, said “we are working with the Student Association very closely” to find a polystyrene alternative.

She also said polystyrene use is a big issue and her department is trying to keep its customers happy.

The student center will soon be turning to paper products to replace polystyrene, but a lot of details must still be worked out, Roush said.

“Sixth Ward Alderman Jamie Pennington has been working with me to get this resolution passed,” Monroe said.

Pennington said polystyrene is a “great problem,” and added some action needs to be taken against its users.

The city council needs to follow up on Monroe’s resolution and more needs to be done, Pennington said.

“We need to not use these products and not go to restaurants and businesses that use them,” Pennington said.

Pennington said the use of recyclable materials and a genuine concern for the environment is important.

“I’m willing to work with anyone who has identified this problem and is willing to correct it,” he said.

Monroe said he and Pennington have talked about this and other environmental issues in DeKalb and will continue to work together to eliminate the use of polystyrene in DeKalb.