Wurlitzer deal to close today

By Fred Heuschel

Contel might close the $10 million Wurlitzer deal before the day is over.

The telephone company plans to put its six-state regional facility at the 132,000 square-foot complex. The DeKalb city council is expected to discuss the deal at tonight’s meeting.

DeKalb City Manager Mark Stevens said the deal for the property at 403 Gurler Road is scheduled to be wrapped up today.

Contel might spend $2 million to acquire the Wurlitzer complex, which includes the Wurlitzer Building and neighboring Notre Dame High School. No one has occupied the high school for several years.

Although Contel’s settlement in DeKalb could bring as many as 300 new area jobs, the deal shuts NIU out of its long-contention for the property.

Gov. James Thompson approved $2 million in state funds to help NIU try to buy the property, but the money is not yet available to NIU.

Mia Jazo, Ilinois Capital Development Board administrator, said the money was not budgeted for this current year.”But the Governor did approve the appropriation so they (NIU) will get the money eventually.”

Although shut out of Wurlitzer, NIU might be in line to acquire the adjacent Notre Dame High School.

Contel officials were unavailable for comment on the possibility of striking a deal with NIU for the high school. NIU could use it for a research facility.

“Contel has no immediate need for the Notre Dame complex,” Stevens said. There are a number of potential tenants who want the property but there are “no definite commitments” at this time, he said.

Tom Montiegel, NIU vice president of development and university relations, said NIU is not focusing on the $2 million appropriation for Wurlitzer.

“Our primary concern is with securing $500,000 to build a satellite facility in Rockford,” Montiegel said. Thompson earlier said he will give NIU the money to begin a Rockford site search.