Student group unhappy with CAB’s sponsorship

By Dana Netzel

Several NIU organization members are not happy with the Campus Activities Board sponsorship of the rap group De La Soul.

The rap group will make its NIU appearance at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

Willie Fowler, Student Association academic affairs adviser and Omega Psi Phi president, said he submitted a proposal and supplemental funding request to CAB’s concert committee hoping that various organizations could help sponsor the performance.

After seeking their financial assistance, concert committee members “took over” the event and decided to fund it entirely, Fowler said.

However, concert committee member Chuck Lerose said CAB is funding the program because most organizations do not have as much money or experience as CAB.

Organization members “came to us” with ideas, “so we went with it,” Lerose said. The organizations’ ideas were the main contribution to the event, he said.

Fowler said he is happy De La Soul is coming to NIU and he does not want to discourage future rap appearances, but that was not the purpose of the program.

“It is not a matter of publicity.” Students who sponsor programs should be allowed to organize them, Fowler said.

Establishing stronger ties with various organizations on campus was the event’s purpose, Fowler said. “I wanted everyone to be involved with the program.”

Co-sponsors in Fowler’s proposal included Omega Psi Phi, the Residence Hall Association, the Black Student Union, Sigma Lambda Beta, Black Greek Council, President’s Commission on the Status of Minorities, President’s Comission on the Status of Women and the SA Academic Affairs Committee.

“We want to do our own program. We don’t need anyone to do this for us,” Fowler said.

The organizations are helping with the program, Lerose said. “Their help is largely through man power.”

CAB activities adviser Steve Duchrow was not available for comment.