Lisle man struck, killed by west-bound train

By Mark Gates

A west-bound train leaving DeKalb killed a Lisle man Friday morning.

Tim Rynbald, 28, was struck by a Chicago & Northwestern train shortly before 10 a.m. behind High Meadow Apartments, 1400 W. Lincoln Hwy., said DeKalb County Coroner Dennis Miller.

Miller said Rynbald apparently walked in front of the train, traveling at about 40 miles per hour.

The conductor saw Rynbald but was unable to stop the train in time, Miller said. “You can’t stop a train on a dime,” Miller said.

Jerry Petersen, High Meadow Apartments resident manager, said he saw a supicious male in his early 40’s wandering through the complex at about 9 a.m.

However, his description did not match Miller’s description of Rynbald, Petersen said. Rynbald was wearing light clothing and sweat pants, Petersen said.

Rynbald’s death is still under investigation and there will be an inquest to determine the cause of death.

This is the second death caused by a train this semester. On Feb. 2, an NIU student committed suicide on the train tracks behind Days Inn, 1212 W. Lincoln Hwy.

Last semester, there also were two deaths involving a train.

On Nov. 4, 1989, two students were killed after the driver of the car ignored a flashing railroad gate and drove around it.

The car was broadsided by a train and dragged on the tracks for five blocks, from Seventh to Second street. Police said the driver, who survived, was intoxicated.

On Dec. 17, 1989, an intoxicated student was killed after lying on the tracks behind the Junction Eating Place, 816 W. Lincoln Hwy.