Spring fashion hints

By Gina Quilici

Editor’s note: this is the first of a three part series dealing with fashion on campus

Fashion trends come and go with the frequency and predictablity of a rainstorm in springtime. What’s popular this season might become obsolete in the seasons to come. With clothing prices on the rise, it is becoming incredibly difficult for the typical college student to keep up with the everchanging styles without going broke.

Some inside advice on “what’s hot and what’s not” would certainly help make a potentially difficult fashion decision much easier. Who would be better qualified to aid this cause than the fashion experts themselves.

Gloria Snell, manager of Maurice’s, said her spring clothing shipments have been full of “tons of flourescent colors for both men and women.” She added that clothing with screen prints and university logos are arriving by the boxload and will be the latest flair this summer.

Snell separated the sexes when describing other current trends in fashion. She said women will see foral prints as well as an expansion of the already popular line of nautical theme clothing. However, Snell said that if she did have to pick only one of the newest, biggest trends this season, it would be the increasing visibility of clothing with various prints styled with the “aztec” influence.

For men, Snell said clothing and jackets accented with leather trim is rapidly growing in popularity. She added that the casual look is “in” for males this spring, complete with corduroy shorts, print shirts and draw string waist pants with the pajama effect.

Erica, manager of Fashion Bug, had a slightly different outlook on the upcoming trends. Erica defined a new distinction between college students and persons in the workforce, which she thinks directly affects clothing choice.

Despite the changes and distinctions among groups, Erica said she thinks there is one universal trend that “never goes out of style.” She calls it the “New England” or conservative, tailored look. This look is created from pleated trousers, silky, easy to care for shirts and cardigans as well as cable sweaters.

As far as the latest trend in colors goes, Erica said she’s been seeing a lot of coral and salmon-colored clothing in her shipments. As for other colors, Erica said the trends are also leaning toward bright, bold colors. “Strong colors are more important than detail,” Erica said.

The fabric of the latest fashions is of equal importance as the styles are. Fabric popularity changes almost as frequently as the styles themselves. Who can forget the polyester era? Janet Giesen, undergraduate advisor for the Human and Family Resources Department at NIU, used her professional knowledge of fashion design to give additional insight into the clothing world.

Giesen said the natural fibers such as rayon, cotton, wool, silk and linen will be in fashion this season. She singled out linen clothing for the spring and summer because of its ability to keep the body cool under the heat. However, Giesen admitted one drawback to linen in that it wrinkles easily.

Giesen noted the popularity of clothing made from man made fibers among the exercise and workout buffs. She attributed this popularity to the fact that clothing made from man made fibers absorb sweat much easier, thus keeping the body cooler during exercise.

When discussing popular styles, Giesen agreed that it depends on a person’s tastes. However, she did have a few opinions of her own as to what she thinks will be a future trend. Giesen said that while “pastel colors are always in fashion,” the trend is moving toward more vibrant colors.

Giesen said the bold colors will help build a look of “individuality” which will also become popular. She added that the trend of today’s common styles will move in a new direction toward “more daring fashions.”

The fact that Snell, Erica and Giesen didn’t completely agree may say something in itself about the course that clothing styles are taking. The disagreement shows that variety is the “in” fasion. Furnishing the wardrobe with a little bit of everything from the most conservative outfits to the most outrageous will allow a person to always remain up with the times.