Student-run radio station offers variety of musical styles to diverse listeners

By Fred Heuschel

If you feel that living in DeKalb is like living in a radio void, perhaps you should tune in WKDI.

WKDI is the student-run, Student Association-funded radio station on campus. Its call number is 93.5 and it is broadcast on FM cable throughout the greater DeKalb area.

“Our play list contains a wide variety of musical styles, but we specialize in alternative things like Janes Addiction or R.E.M.,” said WKDI Music Director Ilene Tokarz.

General Manager Susan Vincent said WKDI broadcasts other programs in order to cater to a very diverse audience.

The station has adopted a wider format to accomodate the needs of all NIU students this semester, Vincent said.

“We now have folk, gospel, rap and heavy metal shows to compliment our regular programming,” she said.

Tokarz said they will play anything requested if they have it at the station.

Vincent stressed they are trying to program something for everyone.

“We specialize in alternative shows, but nothing too terribly underground. People would recognize most of our music if they heard it,” she said.

WKDI Disc Jockey David Chilletz said that they have no set play list to work from.

The DJ’s are not limited in any way so they can play whatever they like, he said.

“It would be impossible for anyone to get bored listening to this station because we play so many different things,” Chilletz said.

NIU students can get WKDI with a cable hook-up. Students in the dorms already have the hook-up in their rooms.

Off-campus students can get WKDI if they have cable.

“All they have to do is hook-up their cable outlet to their FM stereo receivers,” said Vincent.

Tokarz said a lot of people at NIU try to listen to Chicago stations with static because they do not realize that WKDI exists.

The only other radio stations in DeKalb are WDEK and WNIU, and they do not satisfy the listening needs of all NIU students, she said.

“Everyone in DeKalb listens to WDEK because they think it’s the only station in the area. I hear a lot of complaints around campus about the limited play list they have,” Tokarz said.

“What they don’t realize is that if they went to 93.5 rather than 92.5, they would hear a more diverse radio station,” Tokarz said.

Faculty Adviser Michael Lazar said that some time this year, WKDI will petition for a normal FM band so people can listen to the station in their cars.