DeKalb tenants sick of bugs and rodents

By Fred Heuschel

Tom Ochs is sick of bugs and rodents.

Ochs, an NIU graduate student, is a resident in the Varsity Square apartments, where he claims he has had numerous problems with roaches and mice.

“I have been moved out of my apartment eight times so that it could be sprayed,” he said.

Ochs had DeKalb city officials out to inspect his apartment several times, but his problems and those of other tenants persist.

However, Mark Lovell, from the Dekalb Community Development Department, said that the management is doing a suitable job of handling the problem.

“We did a walk through investigation of one of the buildings as of last Wednesday, and we found no violations,” Lovell said.

However, at a meeting of tenants and managers held in Ochs’ apartment last week, many residents expressed their displeasure at the former mangager’s method of dealing with the situation.

Resident Mike Evans said that the former manager created more problems without eliminating the rodents.

“It’s gone from roaches to the stuff they use to fight them. I’ve had trouble breathing and the stuff is chalky, dusty and it leaves a residue,” Evans said.

The new manager of the complex, Debbie Swedberg said that she wants to work with the tenants to fix the problem.

“We’d like you guys to work with us on solving this problem,” Swedberg said.

Bill Yarborough, maintenance supervisor for the complex, encouraged tenants to come to him if they had a problem with anything.

She said that Adams Pest Control, the company called in from Byron, Ill., to combat the problem, told her that the pests would be out of the building within two weeks after they sprayed.

Ochs said Adams Pest Control came and sprayed on February 7th.

Don Henderson, NIU Students’ Legal Office director, has been handling the complaint. “I have spoken with several tenants who have expressed complaints about infestation.”

Henderson said that he has spoken with Swedberg and she seemed anxious to solve any problems.

He said that Swedberg is willing to authorize any work that the pest control people recommend.

Pest control problems are just one of the regular housing related problems that Henderson said he handles.

NIU associate mathmatics Professor Rakesh Sharma said he has made complaints to the city about fungus growth in his Amber Manor apartment.

Sharma said the problem has been there for about a year and he had problems getting the management at Amber Manor to cooperate with him.

“I’ve been through hell,” he said.

Rick Monas, a city code enforcement official, investigated the matter and reported that the problem is the result of moisture which entered the apartment through a deteriorating storm window.

Monas said he is meeting with the buiding’s owner Thursday to discuss the matter.

Buiding Manager Olivia Wilson refused to comment on the matter until the official review went through.

Henderson recommended that any student with a housing problem first contact the manager. If that fails to get results, contact the Students’ Legal Office.

“Be sure to talk to the manager first because most of the time they are willing to solve the problem to avoid a legal hassle,” Henderson said.