NIU students’ expenses broken down

By Michelle Isaacson

An average NIU student living on-campus will have spent more than $6,000 by the end of this school year.

NIU Institutional Research Director Nick Noe said the cost to live in a high-rise residence hall with the 21-meal plan and a double occupancy room is $2,640 for the 1989-90 school year.

Joyce Davis, housing adminstrator for Lincoln and Douglas Halls, said the cost to live in Lincoln, Douglas or Neptune, is $2,610 for the school year.

Donald Buckner, director of student housing services, said the difference between the residence hall costs is due to the increased operating expenses of the high-rise residence halls because of elevators and air conditioning in individual rooms.

Students enrolled in 12 or more credit-hours pay $1,714 for tuition each academic year, Noe said. Students pay about $670 for fees which include activity fees, athletic fees, busing fees, health service fees, health insurance fees (which are refundable), recreation center fees, and The Northern Star fees, he said.

Books and supplies are estimated at $400 per year, Noe said. Miscellaneous and personal expenses are estimated at $1,200 per year, he said.

Transportation costs are about $300 per year, Noe said, although the cost for transportation varies if a student commutes.

Personal and transportation costs rise because of inflation and tuition varies each year, depending on funding from the state, Noe said. In the past few years, there have been “significant” increases in tuition, he said.

Noe said in the 1988-1989 school year, NIU tuition cost $1,589. During the 1983-1984 academic year, tuition cost $864 and 10 years ago, tuition cost $548, he said.

Eileen Mollney, a freshman sociolgy major living in Stevenson Towers South, said she spends between $10 and $15 a week on miscellaneous items.

Mollney said she receives money from her family for her weekly spending fees. She said she uses earnings from her summer job and her student loan to help her pay for tuition and fees.

Ray Kenyon, a junior illustration major, said he can spend up to $60 in one semester on art supplies. He has lived in the residence halls since his freshman year.

Kenyon said he splits costs with his family and that he works two jobs over the summer in order to pay his half of expenses.