Students demand legislative action

By Dana Netzel

NIU students will demand more appropriate levels of financial aid funding from legislature through a letter writing campaign.

Student Committee on Financial Aid members and Financial Aid Office Director Jerry Augsburger will inform students tonight of legislative issues at Financial Aid Night.

The purpose is to “let students know what current legislative issues they can get involved in to bring (them) financial aid,” said Student Association President Huda Scheidelman.

The SA, on a national level, asked students to write to the legislature after President Bush’s budget proposal, Augsburger said.

He said he will speak on the “Washington scene and Bush’s budget proposals.”

Students can influence legislature to have an impact, he said. “Every citizen is entitled to write to the legislature and express opinions that have impact on final results.”

Financial Aid Night will be at 8 p.m. in DuSable Hall, room 120. Other topics include the process of financial aid forms, which should turned in Thursday, Augsburger said.

Students will be given financial aid hints such as having the form dated and stamped by the financial aid office and then photo copied to resemble a receipt, Scheidelman said.

“Students receiving financial aid do have questions and concerns that have not been answered,” she said.