Cut back styrofoam use

NIU should get rid of styrofoam on campus.

And the Student Environmental Action Committee and University Food Services should continue to work toward abolishing styrofoam at NIU.

Although food services does not use styrofoam containing chloroflourocarbons, which destroy the ozone layer and contribute to global warming, Phylis Rousch, Holmes Student Center Food Services director, said the styrofoam used by food services “still doesn’t break down in land fills very easily, however, we’ve been looking for alternatives.”

Seeking a viable alternative to styrofoam might not be an easy task in a country that has grown accustomed to such a convenient product. But in the meantime, food services should take measures to make sure as little styrofoam products as possible are used.

Although this might not be one of the largest users of styrofoam products, perhaps residence halls’ food services should cut back on the amount of styrofoam used in the cafeterias. On days when specialty meals are served, such as a taco bar, food services should avoid giving the students styrofoam plates—it might not be a major cutback, but any reduction in styrofoam use is significant.

NIU should continue to work toward abolishing the use of styrofoam and other products that ruin the environment. And maybe local restaurants will realize that NIU won’t stand for the use of such a destructive product. We have to start somewhere.