Flexible student affairs VP sought

By Ellen Skelly

The new vice president for student affairs needs to work well with many people and be flexible in their abilities according to the former NIU vice president for student affairs.

Jon Dalton left his role as student affairs vice president last summer and currently holds the same position at Florida State University, Tallahassee.

“The person who does this (had) better have a good sense of humor,” Dalton said, adding they will work with a wide range of people and will need to deal with their responsibilities in the proper perspective.

A person should be “able to articulate the mission of Student Affairs,” Dalton said, because part of the job is to interpret student needs and interests.

NIU encounters problems similar to problems found at other universities, Dalton said. He said some examples are space availability in some departments, alcohol education, racism and sexism.

A broader range applies to the postition when the vice president talks to parents of students and people in the community, he said.

Specific qualities Dalton said were important included communication, scholarly interests, good presentation ability and activities outside of the university.

Dalton said he had a “wonderful experience” at NIU and felt he grew a lot as vice president for student affairs while at NIU.