Trend reflects conservatism

By Alyce Malchiodi

NIU freshmen consider themselves more politically and socially conservative—a trend reflected nation-wide, according to a survey.

The Cooperative Institution Research Program Survey, conducted annually by American Council on Education and the University of California at Los Angeles, surveyed 200,000 students to collect data.

The majority of NIU freshmen surveyed are becoming more conservative about crime and drug testing since 1988, said Testing Services Director Norman Gilbert.

Gilbert said that NIU has surveyed freshmen for 15 years.

However, the survey found NIU students have become more liberal about the death penalty and abortion, reflecting a nation-wide trend.

Fifty-nine percent of the 1988 NIU freshmen surveyed said abortion should be legal. The number rose to 69 percent according to the 1989 survey.

The amount of NIU freshmen opposing the death penalty was 18 percent in 1989, a lower percentage compared to other public universities, Gilbert said.

In 1988, the survey reports that 69 percent of the freshmen thought drug testing should be legal. In 1989, more than three-fourths of NIU freshmen surveyed were in favor of drug testing.

Sophomore geography major Christine Rechner said, “I like the trend in the sense of drugs and other issues because people are becoming aware of the dangers.” Rechner said she thinks of herself as being conservative and said she has become more so over the last two years.

In 1989, NIU also had a lower percentage of surveyed freshmen who said they consumed alcohol in the past, Gilbert said. Sixty-seven percent of NIU students surveyed in 1988 said they had drank beer and 70 percent said they consumed wine or other alcohol.

However, 64 percent of 1989 NIU freshmen said they consumed beer and 66 percent said they consumed wine or other alcohol.

The survey showed the 1989 freshman class had a higher percentage of students than in 1988 who were more concerned about others, he said.

Both NIU freshman classes of ‘88 and ’89 said they hoped college would bring them good jobs and more money.

The survey found 1989 NIU freshmen had a more healthy mental attitude about the way they view themselves.

Sophomore education major Jane Diano said she does not think she is more conservative than she was two years ago and does not consider herself a conservative. “I don’t think it (the conservative trend) is going to make a difference now, but long-term it will have an effect on the whole country,” she said.

Similarly, sophomore accounting major Gary Pattengale said, “I think being conservative has its place, but the trend is hurting the school because students are becoming less involved with school activities.”