Cost concern in housing choice

By Fred Heuschel

In selecting apartments for the next semester, students consider cost, location, size, cleanliness and a few individual whims, before making their decision.

The distance of an apartment from campus is one of the primary concerns for students.

NIU student, Mike Dixon, said, “I want some place close enough to campus to enable me to walk to classes, even in the winter.”

Mike Waterman, another NIU student said, “I want a place that‘s close to school without sacrificing other conveniences. I want to have quick and easy access to convenience stores and gas stations.”

The vast majority of students are looking for apartments relatively close to Lucinda, said Yvonne Polantonio, a Laing Management realtor.

“However, the thing that most students are concerned with is price. People are willing to sacrifice virtually every luxury to get low rent payments,” Polantonio said.

Although, “luxuries are important. People want to know if they have access to a microwave, cable TV and telephone jacks in every room,” she said.

Another important factor in determining a suitable place to live is whether or not utilities are a part of the rent payment.

“I dont want to have to pay utilities,” Dixon said.

Kevin Brinkman, an NIU junior said, “I want my heat and electricity pre-paid, and I want quick and easy access to a washer and dryer.”

Cleanliness is another variable students consider when making their selection. “I want a place that’s clean and in good condition. There should be no bugs and it should be structurally sound,” Brinkman said.

Polantonio said,”Cleanliness is pretty important. People check to see that the walls are in good condition and that the kitchens and bathrooms are clean. Cleanliness is more important for girls than guys. So is space.”

“Guys generally try to cram as many people into a room as possible to keep things cheap. Girls are usually more particular. They usually insist upon their own room.” said Polantonio.

Student Tammy Steines said,”I prefer having my own room. I usually make sure that I can get a place where everyone gets their own room.”

Steines said, “If you find a place that’s kind of a ways from campus, it’s important that it have a good bus service. I live in Suburban Estates and the bus service out here is really good.”

Having reasonable neighbors is something many students insist upon. “I don’t want to live in a place that’s dead, but I also don’t want a place where everyone is always partying,” said NIU music major Jason Azem.

Brinkman said, “I like a place where the neighbors are nice.”

NIU junior Dale Blazier says,”I like a place with a nice view, preferably of the lagoon.”

Student Dan Chambers said, “I like a place with interesting, old architecture. Some of the homes in DeKalb have really nice rustic architecture which creates a really homey and relaxing atmosphere.”

“Eveybody wants to know if the neighbors are girls or guys. Guys want to live next to girls, and girls want to live next to guys,” Polantonio said.

Mark Lolwing, a junior business major, said, “I want a place with beautiful women, that’s close to the liquor store, and with lot’s of space for the band to practice.”