Economics enrollment increases

By Mark Gates

NIU’s economics department had a dramatic increase in enrollment during the last two decades, jumping from 94 students in 1970 to 408 in 1989.

Some have attributed the increase to the stricter enrollment standards of the College of Business, driving those unable to get into that college to the economics department. In 1989, there were only 1,177 undergraduate business majors, as opposed to 1,968 in 1987, according to Nick Noe, director of Institutional Research.

Others, however, do not see economics as a substitute for a business major. Economics Department Chairman Prem Laumas said it is a popular major in its own right for students considering business-oriented careers.

Such is the case of senior David Satek, who chose to major in economics after finding his grade point average as a pre-business student would not be high enough to make him eligible for the College of Business. Satek said economics is “close to business,” and he does not regret the decision.

“They (College of Business teachers) ask too much of you,” Satek said. The major is also too competitive, he said. He likes his economics major because, “you can take it easy. It’s more comfortable” academically than the business college, he said.

Other departments within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences have also seen increased enrollment. Political science majors increased from 548 in 1970 to 577 in 1989. Sociology enrollment increased from 373 in 1970 to 390 in 1989. The increases have occurred despite total undergraduate enrollment which has stayed consistent for ten years: 17,581 in 1970 and 17,813 in 1989.