Student leaders recognized

By Mark Gates

OK, you teach at NIU and know a wonderful student and a mere pat on the back will not suffice to tell him what a great person he is. What do you do?

Nominate him for the Student Leader of the Month Award. The University Programming and Activities office gives the award every month to recognize “exceptional contributions of leadership, programs or activities which enhance the quality of student life at NIU,” said Kris Kurtz of UP&A.

Staff members or graduate assistants can nominate a student. A nominee must be a member of a registered student organization and a full-time NIU student, she said. Nominations must be received by UP&A by the twentieth of the month to be considered for the previous month’s award.

The UP&A recently opened up the nomination process to the NIU community. Since it opened up nominations, UP&A has been getting six to eight nominations a month, Kurtz said.

Winners are selected at the first UP&A staff meeting of the month, Kurtz said. When the vote is close, two awards can be given.

Awards are usually given to students for their work during a specific month, but students who have made a significant contribution over a longer period of time will be given consideration.

Students are evaluated on leadership, performance and dedication. They also are evaluated on their contribution to the NIU community and their creativity and/or originality in their efforts.

Winners receive a letter and a certificate of recognition. They also will have their picture displayed during finals week in the Holmes Student Center.