CAB’s “Chicago Night Life” trip gives NIU students chance to paint the town

By Lynn Rogers

It’s Friday night in DeKalb and you’re faced with your usual prospects: hitting the familiar bars, standing shoulder to shoulder in a sweaty basement/kitchen or watching the latest movie release.

Feel like heading out of town and cruising I-88 to Chicago?

The Campus Activities Board is offering “Chicago Night Life” on Friday, November 10, including stops at Chicago’s Improv comedy club, the Hard Rock Cafe and Division Street. The bus ride costs $8 and leaves at 6:00 p.m. from the east side of the Holmes Student Center.

“I think it’ll be a different way for people to look at the city. There’s a lot of cultural things going on in Chicago at night,” said CAB travel coordinator Grace Tenuta, adding that there are still spaces available on the bus for interested students.

Tenuta said this is the first “Chicago Night Life” trip, an idea she thought of at the beginning of the year. “If this goes well, we’ll have another one next semester,” she added.

The $8 covers transportation costs to the city. “We’re trying to offer a reasonable price for everyone, so they can go,” she explained, adding, “We don’t want to bog them down with the unneeded hassle of paying a lot of money.”

Though there are three exact drop-off points, students can go anywhere in the area. “I think it’ll be an even split between comedy spots and people going out to dinner or plays,” Tenuta said. “We’re getting there at a reasonable time so people can do what they want.”

The bus will arrive in the city around 7:30 p.m. and pick up students close to 1:00 a.m. If students want to stay in the city, “it’s an option,” Tenuta said, but the goal of the trip is not mere transportation.

Upcoming CAB travel events include a ski trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado over Christmas break and a Blackhawks game, an away Bulls game, shopping trips and zoo trips next semester.

For information, call CAB 753-1580.