Snow removal plans

By Amy Goldhagen

With forecasts for above average precipitation in the next 90 days, the NIU physical plant is preparing to tackle the task of snow removal.

NIU Grounds Department Foreman Tom Anderson said when the snow begins to fall, its removal will be the grounds crew’s top priority. Anderson said the grounds crew is responsible for clearing sixty acres of parking, twelve miles of streets and twenty-eight miles of sidewalk each time it snows. Anderson said streets and fire lanes will remain the top priority.

Rick Klages, physical plant accountant, said the budget for snow removal comes directly out of the physical plant budget. This budget is funded through both the state legislature and student fees. The money also is used for the upkeep of academic buildings, campus offices lawns and the library.

This budget includes $5,000 to contract outside help in case of excessive snowfall. Anderson said outside help usually is needed if more than six inches of snow fall at a time.

“A problem arises when it snows early in the morning, especially between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. because it is diffcult to get all of the snow cleared before the the university opens,” Anderson said.

Snow removal becomes increasingly difficult as more people and cars infiltrate the campus. “Ideally we need six to eight hours to get the campus in decent shape,” Anderson said.

If the National Weather Services’ 90-day forecast is any indication, the ground crew workers will have their work cut out for them. Hal Klingenberg of the NIU weather service said the forcast predicts above-average precipitation within the next 90 days which, due to falling temperatures, means snow.