Constitution test to be discussed

By Nissin Behar

The issue to keep or eliminate the Illinois and U.S. Consitution in order for students to graduate from NIU remains up in the air.

NIU is currently the only university in the state that requires such a test.

The test requirement will be discussed today at the Faculty Assembly’s monthly meeting, held in the Holmes Student Center, Room 505 at 3 p.m.

On Dec. 13, the University Council will have the final vote to keep or delete the requirement. If passed, College of Education students will still be required to pass a constitution test as part of their certification.

The Undergraduate Catalog refers to the Illinois School Code Chapter 122, Section 27-3, which states students must demonstrate knowledge of the State and Federal Constitutions by passing a university test.

James Norris, dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, brought the test issue to the University Legal Counsel’s attention early this semester. Norris maintained all students must pass a similar test before graduating from high school.

In other business, the faculty assembly will consider the selection of an assembly member to serve a one-year term on the Student Center Board.

The assembly will also go into executive session to evaluate Judith Bischoff, who served as UC executive secretary for the 1988 to 1989 academic year.