Many point out problems

By Mark Gates

Judy Loudin is ready to party. Her daughter, Lisa, an art major, said her mother wants to go to the bars in DeKalb on Parents’ Day. Is this typical parental behavior during Parents’ Day? Probably not.

Judy Loudin’s dream is “to be a college student for a day,” her daughter said. Her wish is about to come true. However, amid the festive family atmosphere, some feel there are problems with Parents’ Day at NIU.

Lack of parent and student participation is one problem. Nursing student Melanie Furst said her parents never have attended Parents’ Day, and she usually avoids it by going home. Julie Olson, a senior speech pathology major, said this will be the first year her parents have attended Parents’ Day since her freshman year.

Furst’s major complaint about Parents’ Day is the lack of activities. “There should be something else to do besides the football game,” she said.

The expense involved is a concern for students. “It’s a lot of money if your whole family comes. Football tickets cost a lot.” Hotel stays add to the expense, Olson said.

Pre-business major Anthony Livingston also said finances have discouraged his family from attending Parents’ Day. “Usually my folks would stay in a hotel, which added to the cost of the trip. They would like to come this year, but can’t afford it,” he said. Also, the event is held too close to Homecoming, he said.

Despite the problems, Furst said she feels the event is worthwhile. “It gives us all a chance to be with our parents and show them what our school environment is like. A lot of students don’t get to see their parents that often, especially those who are from out-of-state, or just don’t go home often.”

Olson summed up Parents’ Day well: “It makes them (parents) happy.”