Survey reveals misconceptions

By Jeff Cutler

A recent NIU survey of alcohol consumption and the effects of intoxication has shown numerous misconceptions about students who drink.

The survey showed people who drink heavily—six or more drinks on a single occasion—experience a much higher rate of fighting, injury to self and others, damage to property, unwanted sexual experiences, missed classes and memory losses, in comparison to those who drink moderately or not at all, said Michael Haines, coordinator of NIU’s Health Enhancement Services.

Haines said sexual assault is the most common form of alcohol-related incidents on college campuses. “Unfortunately, most college campuses address sexual assault as if stranger rape is the most common form,” he said, adding “they put up telephone boxes, security lights and offer self-defense courses to try and safeguard the campus, when in fact, most incidents occur after two people get drunk at a party.”

Another all too common form of an alcohol-related incident on college campuses is physical assault. “Too many people think of physical assault as being attacked by a stranger in the dark. Actually, most incidents happen in well-lit party environments involving a person who is intoxicated.”

The survey, which was completed by 644 NIU freshmen and sophomores, found a large variance in how much students think others their age usually drink.

Only 2 percent of the students felt their peers consume two drinks or less when they party, although nearly 25 percent of those surveyed said they actually do. “There is a misperception of the norm, and all too often college students try to conform to what they think is normal,” Haines said.

Statistically about 5 percent of college students are alcoholics. “The larger problem that we are dealing with is reducing heavy drinking and high-dose consumption,” he said.

Many programs are intended to educate students on the dangers of alcohol abuse, but those actually might worsen the problem.

“Well-meaning people come to the students with statistics on how many people are drinking too much. This may actually be reinforcing an overestimation of how much the average student drinks,” he said. “I am very concerned with the students misperceiving what is going on out there and thus placing an internal pressure on themselves to fit in.”

Wednesday: Campus groups designed to help students who have drinking problems.