Need own place

Why do freshman have to live in the dorms? For some students, this may be exactly what they are looking for because it is a great chance to meet new people.

However, this doesn’t work for everyone. Other students want to be able to study in their own rooms; and if you live in the dorms, this is nearly impossible. It’s true that a student could go to a designated study area, such as the lounge or the library, but why should he if he wants to study in a relaxing atmosphere? The people on the floor are usually running through the halls, laughing and talking. Occasionally, your roommate might have company; and instead of going out to hold a conversation, they will remain in the room and chat.

Quiet hours are a joke. Supposedly, at 8 p.m., the doors to people’s rooms close; and there is no talking in the halls. However, this still occurs. Also, next door neighbors are problems. Through the paper-thin walls, you can overhear parts of conversations, the radio and television programs. If a student wanted to study seriously “at home,” when is he supposed to accomplish this?

I feel that freshmen should be able to choose where they will live; I don’t think NIU or any other school has the right to decide this for any person.

Heather Calsyn

Freshman

Pre-business