Free services remedy drinking problems

By Jeff Cutler

Students who think their drinking habits might be taking control of their lives should not hesitate to seek free help right on campus.

People who have a problem with alcohol many times try to minimize what is actually happening. “They don’t think anything is wrong if there is not some adverse circumstance affecting their everyday life,” said Lizann Corbit, counselor/health educator.

Students who are not sure if a problem exists might want to attend a session of SUDDS—Students Understanding Drinking, Drugs and Self. The program is offered through the NIU Health Enhancement Service.

During three one-hour sessions, students are taught the effects of alcohol, how to calculate their own blood alcohol level and where to go for help if they think they have a chemical dependency, Corbit said.

SUDDS also has been successfully used by the NIU Judicial Office to help students who have been found in violation of NIU’s Alcoholic Beverage Policy.

“I feel programs like SUDDS, in conjunction with other policy sanctions, have helped us to decrease partying and the vandalism often associated with alcohol abuse,” said Judicial Office Director Larry Bolles. “It has also led to an increased awareness of the implications associated with underage drinking.”

Students more concerned about the extent to which their dependency problems might reach are encouraged to visit the NIU Counseling and Student Development Center for a professional dependency assessment. An assessment can evaluate whether a dependency problem exists, Corbit said.

Many students do not recognize a problem with their dependencies because they have become functional. Functionality occurs when a person learns to go about his everyday, normal routine under the influence of the chemical. Corbit said, however, that over a period of time, the dependency takes over the victim’s life so nothing other than the chemical seems important. Treatment might take much longer by the time this stage is reached, she said.

In instances of functional dependency, the counseling center often sees students looking for help for their friends who will not admit their problems. “Students seem to rally when they see a friend has a problem. College students usually feel very responsible to get help for their friends in this situation,” Corbit said.

If a student is found to have characteristics of chemical dependency, a referral can be made for further evaluation on the extent of the dependency. “Further assessment may or may not lead to treatment, depending upon the individual,” Corbit said.

Although the center provides students with assessment and referral services on campus, it can help to set up outside professional treatment if a dependency problem exists. “We can work with them (students) and their parents if they wish to set up inpatient or outpatient treatment in DeKalb or at home,” Corbit said.

The center also provides group counseling for adult children of alcoholics. Corbit said there are times when the methods students use to cope with the situation at home do not work once they come to college. The group discussions can help students learn new ways to deal with the situation.

Although there is no charge for any services performed on-campus, NIU student insurance pays for a percentage of outside chemical dependency treatments. An insured student is covered for up to 50 percent of outpatient, and 80 percent of inpatient chemical dependency care, said Dana Mills, associate director of the University Health Service.

Outpatient coverage is limited to $30 a day, not to exceed 30 visits in a year, and inpatient coverage cannot exceed more than 21 days a year. All customary fees are covered, although care must be performed at a state or federally licensed facility, Mills said.

Thursday: The success story of a person who overcame alcohol addiction.