Fallon chosen for speaker post

By Michelle Landrum and Mark McGowan

Student Association Sen. John Fallon was elected SA speaker Sunday night after four ballots and more than a hour of closed session discussion.

Fallon defeated fellow SA senators Brad Strauss, Tracy Deis and Mark Harkness by obtaining a majority 21 votes in the four-ballot race.

“I’m excited and anxious,” Fallon said. “This could be the most productive senate year yet.”

Fallon said he plannned to start work now toward his goals of senate productivity and improving communications. “We need to establish legitimacy and unity among us,” he said.

He said the time of closed session and waiting for election returns through four votes was “nerve racking for all candidates. It was a lot to go through.”

Controversy swarmed the elections concerining amounts of time given to each candidate to speak and be questioned. Each was allowed five minutes for a speech and two for questions.

Sen. Foria Younis said she needed more time to question the candidates. “It’s reallly important (to have enough time for questioning),” she said. “Last year there were lots of problems. We don’t want to make the same mistakes.

“More time absolutely was needed,” she said. “We had four excellent candidates and the time limit was set before the candidates began.

“I did my homework and I had questions for everyone,” Younis said. “I think some things needed to come out (for all the senators to hear).”

In other business, senate officials were hesitant to discuss DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow’s appointment of Jeff Monroe as 7th ward alderman.

SA President Huda Scheidelman said discussion on the matter was inappropriate at Sunday’s meeting and asked senators to talk to her individually about the matter.

Sixth Ward Alderman Jamie Pennington said, “I think we need to congratulate Mr. Monroe. Any action contrary is not wise.”

Scheidelman disagreed with Pennington. “The decision is not over. Jeff Monroe has not been appointed by the city council and thre are some issues we should not take lying down,” said Scheidelman.

Also, four refundable student fees were discussed. The $1 per student Illinois Student Association fee, $3 per person Student-to-Student Grant and 8-cents per credit hour Northern Star fee can be refunded at the Bursars Office. The $78.54 health insurance fee also can be refunded within two weeks of the semester’s beginning.