Foreign Study Program allows students to mix education, fun

By Gina Quilici

Rain, mist and a wicked chill have found their way to DeKalb. So has the wet weather blues.

Classes seem longer, everything seems boring and the four walls of your room appear to be slowing closing in.

It becomes easier and more pleasant to fantasize of faraway places than to venture outside your own doorstep.

This happens every year without fail. We willingly go through the same routine over and over again, yet long for something different.

Two NIU students have found an alternative to the monotony we all find ourselves caught in.

With the help of the NIU Foreign Study Program, roommates Mitzi Tepper and Sharon Martenson broke out of the routine and made their dreams of exotic places a reality.

The pair spent their spring semester of 1989 studying in London, and eventually touring most of Europe.

Tepper and Martenson chose only one of a large variety of options that are open to students interested in experiencing foreign travel. Those wishing to become involved in the program can determine where they wish to travel and how long they would like to stay.

Students can study abroad for an entire academic year, one semester, or a short term session. A short term session can last anywhere from 3-6 weeks. The short program is often ideal for those who are very unsure of spending a large amount time in a foreign country.

The list of countries available in the foreign studies program is limited only to your wildest daydreams of exotic places and interesting people.

You can stay in Austria, Belgium, China, Denmark, Indonesia or Norway. Also available are England, France, Italy, Japan, Russia and Spain. If that’s not enough, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Israel, Germany, Australia, Costa Rica and Honduras.

The list isn’t over yet. You can experience Egypt, Sweden, Finland, the Dominican Republic and Poland.

For all the business majors in search of an excellent learning opportunity, the Foreign Study Program offers an International Business Seminar in Europe and the Orient.

Foreign internships are also available in many of the same countries give you practical work experience and a salary, as well as a tremendous cultural experience.

Money? Did someone say the “M” word? Don’t worry, the prices are better than you think. According to Ines DeRomana, Foreign Studies Coordinator, the prices range between $740 – $6,300, depending on the country and the duration of the stay.

That may seem like a lot at first, but compared to most tuition bills it’s almost the same.

DeRomana said that financial aid, and any other cash grants or scholarships are applicable.

Monetary fears aside, another concern is where the person will live once they arrive in the country. DeRomana said that participants are offered the option of living with a carefully selected family, or in one of the foreign university’s housing arrangements.

All the arrangements for the trip are carefully planned in advance with the help of the Foreign Study staff.

All the details aside, there are so many other things to think about. According to DeRomana most students “do not realize before going how wonderful it is going to be.”

Tepper and Martenson emphatically agree. Tepper described her European experience by saying that it was more “incredibly different” than she had imagined.

“You suddenly find yourself in an atmosphere that’s not pro-American, and you’re no longer sheltered by your country,” Tepper added.

Martenson emphasized that “it gives you an incredible new independence.”

The roommates both felt that the experience was scary at first. However, they comforted themselves with the theory “Why be afraid? You have nothing to lose.”

Some people fear that the language barrier will present a problem for those who are not familiar with a foreign language. Maretenson found, suprisingly enough, the language barrier was rarely a problem. Tepper added that the few times it was a problem the people were always willing to help.

While the two agreed on most of the advantages of studying abroad, they disagreed on their favorite exotic place.

“Greece,” Martenson said quickly, then hesitated and laughed as if she were thinking to herself. “Yeah, definately Greece.”

Tepper’s favorite foreign hot spot was the French Riviera. “Monoco,” she said. Thinking back on her experience Tepper added, “It’s like paradise, like being on a whole different planet. It’s the best adventure.”

Tepper and Martenson tried to think of what to say in order to persuade others to study abroad. They thought carefully and quietly, as it is difficult to sum up such an immense experience into few words.

The two answered together, adding a phrase here and there.They said people just don’t realize they have the whole world out there to see, and seeing the world helps you learn what life is really all about.

“It is the most exciting, rewarding thing people can do for themselves. You come back and realize you have put your perspective back in place 100 percent,” Tepper added.