Black Greek Council stresses unification

By Michelle Isaacson

NIU’s Black Greek Council governs four black fraternities and four sororities that began as service organizations.

These organizations are overseen on a national level by the National Panhellenic Council.

The fraternities in BGC are Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi and Phi Beta Sigma. BGC adviser Felicia Thomas said Kappa Alpha Psi is on suspension from their national office.

The sororities in BGC are Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Sigma Gamma Rho and Zeta Phi Beta.

Thomas has been the adviser of BGC since November, 1988. Thomas said she meets with the executive board of BGC and the general body on alternating weeks. Her objectives include helping BGC develop leadership skills and unifying and focusing on accomplishing their goals.

The goals of the BGC include organizing community service projects, coordinating semester activities, ensuring cooperation and harmony between members and other campus organizations and enacting and enforcing rules governing privilege procedures.

BGC President Mileau Hudson said this semester’s goals include promoting a diverse unity and interacting more with students on campus.

These organizations were founded nationally in the early 1900s to offer a fraternal outlet for black students who were discriminated against by other fraternities and sororities.