Freshmen beware; don’t trust anybody

By Gina Quilici

Okay, the first week of classes have begun. Upperclassmen, give me your best/worst freshman story.

What? A freshman came up to you in DuSable at five past ten, schedule in hand, and with a twinge of panic in his voice asked you where Room 111 was. Ok, so what did you do? You sent him in the wrong direction.

Not too original. I suppose you and your friends laughed hysterically when the poor trusting soul blindly followed your false directions. I figured as much.

Hey, you over there! You’re laughing. What’s your story? You were walking through Reavis to see a teacher when you came upon two freshmen girls, orientation folders in check, showing their parents around campus. As you began to walk past them, the girls stopped you, said “hi” and started a conversation like they actually knew you? These freshmen are so unpredictable.

So, what did you do when the girls started talking? You half smiled, gave them a funny look and walked away. Now there’s some upperclassmen hospitality.

While both these stories seem hard to believe, they are actually two examples of the behavior that I have seen freshmen subjected to since the dorms opened on Wednesday.

If memory serves me correctly, weren’t all of us freshmen at one time? Oh, I see now. You guys were teased and tormented as freshmen so now you feel it’s your duty to carry on the tradition.

Let me tell you, that’s some scary logic for mature adults.

Most freshmen come to college with so much energy and excitement. Granted, most of them would rather spend their energy on the weekends than in class, but hey, it’s enthusiasm none the less.

Their excitement, however, is often backed by their fear of the unknown. How do we welcome this new vitality and comfort their fears? With open arms and compassion? Don’t kid yourself. Only a small fraction of students on campus would willingly jump right up to assist a freshman.

Instead, the freshmen are teased, laughed at, sent in the wrong direction, and worst of all, ignored.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting that you run up to the first freshman you see and invite him to lunch. But hey, remember, in the immortal words of the Karate Kid, “what comes around goes around.

Just to clarify things, my intention here is not to turn the freshmen class into young demi-gods. Give me a break, I’m a journalist not a magician. I mean let’s face it. I have seen some freshmen do pretty funny things, and I have laughed just as hard, if not harder than all the rest.

What I do suggest is that if you absolutely have to laugh, stifle it until they’re well out of ear shot. It’s only polite, and we, as upperclassmen, request the same courtesy. Most of the time, the funny things they do are simply because they don’t know any better. They need to learn the way things work around here, and that takes time.

We all went through it, right? So c’mon. Let’s act our age. I’m telling you it may be painful at first. Your friends may laugh. But, courtesy is the key. A little encouragement and kindness certainly won’t kill you.

So hey freshmen! Just a little note to you. Keep the spirit and enthusiasm alive. Don’t let the ranks of the childish get you down.

You freshmen must not forget one very important fact. One day it will be your turn to run the “Save the Freshmen” campaign.