Salary plan to be reviewed by Assembly

By Amanda Martin

NIU’s Faculty Assembly will receive an update on salary equity plans from Provost Kendall Baker today in its final session this semester at 3 p.m. in room 505 of the Holmes Student Center.

Baker’s plan, initiated earlier this semester, was well-received by the assembly early in February. But some faculty expressed concern over the funding source for the plan and later dismissed the plan as inadequate, saying that salary needs exceeded what the program would offer.

Judy Bischoff, University Council executive secretary, said Baker’s plan has been handed to NIU colleges and departments for review. Colleges will need to choose a plan based on one of two equity plan models, she said.

The models are the result of research Baker conducted and include plans from land grant universities and Mid-American Conference schools.

Bischoff said the assembly will go through a series of appointments and nominations, the normal practice before the end of the academic year.

The assembly also will consider appointment of the faculty personnel adviser, a three-year term position, and nomination of the next UC executive secretary. Nominations for committees also will take place.

Three tenured NIU faculty members are in contention for the personnel adviser position. Walter Katovsky, professor of psychology; Robert Keim, professor of human and family resources; and Carl Parrini, professor of history, have been nominated to replace current adviser, Elanor Godfrey.