Board to discuss Wirtz House removal

By David Pollard

The King Commons/Carroll Avenue Renovation Project Advisory Board will meet Tuesday to discuss and hear views from the public on the possible removal of Wirtz House.

The board will meet at 9 p.m. in Room 306 of the Holmes Student Center.

The board will “solicit on-campus input” at the meeting, said Eddie Williams, vice president of finance and planning. Anyone who has any ideas, comments or recommendations regarding the King Commons project, Wirtz House or any other aspect of the project should come to the meeting, he said.

The advisory committee is a very “broad based committee” to collect as much input as possible about the King Commons area, he said. “We will try to make time available for them to present their views.”

Wirtz House currently houses the Women’s Studies Program and the Foreign Studies Office, said Williams. The Women’s Studies Program will be relocated at the end of this semester, he said.

“We have been in the process for about a year and a half now, planning the King Commons mall area to develop a totally new landscape. As part of that, there has been a question about the Wirtz House as to whether or not that should stay where it is,” he said.

Williams said there is a question of whether the house should be demolished or moved. “Recently, there has been some concern about the Wirtz House being demolished,” he said.

Concern has centered around the symbolic nature of the house, as it represents womens’ rights. Phyllis Chairelli, an advisory committee member, said, “I feel, personally, as a student, that it shouldn’t be taken down.

Pat Hewitt, assistant to the vice president of finance and planning and a member of the advisory committee, said the outcome of the committee’s views was “hard to judge. There are opinions on both sides of the committees,” she said.

“I am committed to getting the best possible space for women’s programs, but it does not necessarily have to be the Wirtz House,” said Sharon Howard, director of University Resources for Women.

“I think it is important not to give up any space,” she said. Howard said she is not certain where the programs currently in Wirtz House will be relocated.

In the Nov. 10, 1988 issue of The Northern Star, Marilyn Skinner, Foreign Languages and Literature department chairman and former coordinator of the Women’s Studies Program, said Wirtz House is a good place for university women to conduct meetings. “Women need their own place that has memories and traditions from the past. Wirtz House is perfect as this kind of space,” Skinner said.