Educator to study aboard

By Michele Weiner

An NIU chemistry professor will return to Yugoslavia after 11 years of conducting joint research on anti-convulsants for epileptics.

David Piatak, NIU chemistry graduate studies director, said he will work on two projects with the faculty at the University of Belgrade. Piatak will research compounds in marine organisms from the Adriatic Sea and study the synthesis of compounds that might have some anti-convulsant activity.

The research is intended “to design compounds that might have a possibility of inhibiting convulsive attacks in epileptics,” Piatak said.

He said the barbiturates, which now are used to stop convulsions associated with epilepsy, can cause bad side effects. Piatak said the work on the synthesis of potential convulsants hopefully will stop epileptic convulsions and lessen side effects from treatment.

Some common side effects caused by the barbiturates used to treat epilepsy are nausea, rash, increased growth in body hair, overgrowth of gum tissue and hyperactivity in children. The side effects depend on each person’s response to the drug and the amount taken.

Piatak’s visit is supported by funding from the National Academy of Science National Research Council for Eastern Europe, he said.

Piatak studied in Yugoslavia from 1974 to 1975 on a Fulbright Scholarship. He returned to Yugoslavia in 1978, he said.

Piatak will work with Milovan Ivanovich, a former NIU graduate student.

Piatak will research at the university for one month. He said he will use what he learns in his research to help teach his classes at NIU “to a degree.”

In addition to being NIU’s chemistry graduate studies director, Piatak teachs Chemistry 531 this semester. The class focuses on organic synthesis. Piatak said he has had a long-time interest in marine organisms.

Piatak came to NIU in 1966. He received his bachelor’s degree from Pennsylvania State University, and master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Maine.

NIU chemistry Professor Dennis Kevill said he spent almost two months in Yugoslavia in the summer of 1983.

Kevill studied physical organic chemistry at the University of Zagreb for four weeks and at the University of Llunljana for one week. He gave seminars on his research at both universities.