Minority students honored

By Nissin Behar

The second annual NIU Golden Image Awards, honoring black students for their contributions to minority organizations, will be held Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom in the Holmes Student Center.

Robert Grimes, Alpha Phi Alpha member, said the Golden Image Awards focus on “those individuals who have made a positive image at NIU and who demonstrate that a special effort has been made to make life easier at NIU.”

The awards ceremony is sponsored by Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.

Monday night’s public announcement of the nominees for the Golden Image Awards began with an introduction by Alpha Phi Alpha president Jesse Taylor. Anthony Billinger, Alpha Phi Alpha member, said awards will be given in 19 categories.

Nine of the awards were voted on by the public last week, Billinger said.

Three unique awards include the Dolby Award for supporting a positive racial climate at NIU. The award is named after Stacy Dolby, NIU assistant director of student housing and faculty adviser, who founded Alpha Phi Alpha in 1964.

The Golden Sphinx Award will be presented to Dave Schmidt of the Wesley Foundation. Jon Dalton, NIU vice president for student affairs, recieved this award last year.

The Distinctive Pharoah Award goes to a non-greek black male who is a role model for black male leadership and service.

Best student administrator, best up-and-coming student leader, best male and female student leaders, best adviser to a student organization, best administrator for minority interest, most outstanding male and female athletes and most artistically talented male and female are some of the other awards.

Marian Moore, editor of Lifeline and a nominee for best up-and-coming student leader, said, “I was shocked (to be nominated). I didn’t expect it. I am honored that the black community here appreciates our contributions.”

The remaining six awards will be distributed to most memorable greek event, best individual black greek image, most outstanding black greek image, most memorable non-greek event, best minority entertainment organization and best minority organization.

The evening also will feature singing, acting and dance performances. Taylor will play a saxophone interlude, and the award ceremony will be followed by a party in the ballroom.

Tickets will be sold today and Thursday in DuSable Hall for $2.50. Tickets are $3 at the door and $4 for couples. The event is open to the public.