Club establishes scholarship fund

By Mark Gates

The Chemistry Club has established a scholarship fund for eligible chemistry majors for the fall 1990 semester, and part of that fund comes from an unusual source: the department’s glassblower.

When not making “condensers and ampules,” Glassblower Ed Hyland becomes an artist. He makes glass nick-nacks in his spare time during work, which he sells at his fall show. He also demonstrates his craft during these shows, which have been annual events for the past 20 years. All proceeds from the shows go to NIU’s Chemistry Club, since all the materials used belong to the chemistry department. Last fall’s sale made $2,000 in three days for the club.

The scholarship will be interest from a $5,000 Chemistry Club scholarship fund. The club also is selling T-shirts this spring to increase the fund. The scholarship will be for about $300.

According to Robin Rogers, the club’s faculty adviser, it is not a need-based scholarship. Eligibility for the scholarship will be based 80 percent on academic excellence and 20 percent on Chemistry Club involvement. Rogers said that if, for example, two academically equal students were to apply, the student with more club participation would receive priority for consideration.

Club president Michelle Saindon, a senior chemistry major, said that candidates must be second-semester junior chemistry majors with at least a 3.0 grade point average.

Members of the scholarship committee will include the department chairman, the club’s faculty adviser, one of the club’s graduate student advisers, the club’s president and the club’s vice president.

The scholarship will be awarded in the spring of 1990 and will apply toward that fall’s tuition. The scholarship fund will be administered by the NIU Foundation.