Presidential hopefuls scutinized for voters

By Marianne Renner

Columnist’s note: the following information is all in good clean fun so don’t jump all over my … ! P.S. The following names have not been changed to protect the guilty.

Do you know what time it is? Yea! It’s that time of year when the candidates come out to play. This year we have four well-qualified candidates who have said they plan to run for Student Association president.

Let’s get a rundown of some of the background of these candidates, shall we?

1. Steve Coloia: Steve is an SA senator who thinks I write all the stories in The Northern Star. Yes, that’s almost true. The truth is, every word printed in this paper is typed in by my little fingers alone.

2. Huda Sheidelman: Huda (also known as Little Red Riding Huda) is the SA recreation adviser. She has been involved in various aspects of the SA. But she needs no experience, nor does she need to campaign much. Once you hear her name, you’ll never forget it. Her name alone is sure to get a lot of votes.

3. Phill Buoscio: Phill (with two l’s!) is the SA speaker. He was formerly the interim speaker, but he shouldn’t really announce that. You see, the title has been cursed by the former speaker. The well-mannered Buoscio, who lets only his true friends call him “Bosco,” has never been spotted with a hair out of place. You’ll recognize him by the slicked down “do” combed over to one side.

4. Joe Annunzio: Joe has said he will run for president for the second time. Then he said he wouldn’t. Then he said he would. Joe “the decisive” Annunzio is an SA senator and former speaker. He still holds the title “speaker” because he loves to talk about himself. Other candidates should beware and take out insurance on all posters and banners since Joe has had a past of banner slashing accusations.

Who would you vote for?

Here’s the roundup again: Steve “my feet won’t touch the ground when I sit down” Coloia, Huda “I’ll give you cookies at my forum so you’ll vote for me” Sheidelman, Phill “I’m paranoid the supreme court will find a way to get rid of me” Buoscio, or Joe “the Eddie Vrdolyak of NIU” Annunzio?

It’s going to be an exciting race right up to the finish. Of course, when all petitions have been turned in we’ll have a better idea of who the competing candidates are.

I can hardly wait to be bombarded as I enter the student center by candidates and their supporters who will shove fliers into my hand.

There will be a bit of banner sabotage and vans driving around on election day. Organizations’ meeting times will be taken up with candidates giving speeches and looking for endorsements.

Yes, the excitement! Candidates freaking out, paranoid of illegal campaign strategies and illegal ballot stuffing on election day.

Now who will come out and vote this year? Come on students. Let’s not have all this hard work go to waste. Get out and cast your vote.

We know the greek vote will be split between Coloia and Buscio. Many former NIU students will vote for Annunzio much like the dead vote for some politicians in Chicago. Sheidelman will take the rest.

So that leaves the other 70 percent of students. Don’t disappoint us. We want to make this the best election ever with the largest voter turnout.

These brief backgrounds should help you out with your decision.

As for the vice president and treasurer positions, no news as of yet. So stay tuned for the next chapter of my background information for candidates.

Who knows what the future holds? But it is sure to be filled with exciting politics in the Student Association.

Good luck candidates, and may the best person win!

P.S. Look at it this way, all this free publicity can’t hurt, right?