Thompson greets NIU protesters

By Tammy Sholer

“I’m on your side,” Gov. James Thompson told about 20 students protesting the lack of funding for higher education Thursday evening at a Republican party fundraiser.

Students from the Student Political Education and Action Committee, the Young Democrats, the Gay/ Lesbian Union and several Student Association senators gathered in the cold in front of Matthew Boone’s Restaurant and Lounge, 122 S. First St., awaiting Thompson’s arrival.

SPEAC Chairwoman Paula Radtke told Thompson that SPEAC members wanted to express their “deep concern” that more funding needs to be allocated to higher education.

She handed Thompson a letter from the committee stating its “deep displeasure with the low priority given to funding of higher education.” The letter stated, “It is reprehensible that the 14th wealthiest state ranks 43rd in support for higher education.”

She questioned Thompson’s proposed budget which allocates higher education funds for capital repairs when classes and faculty salaries are the primary focus of higher education needs.

Thompson replied that it is House Speaker Michael Madigan, D-Chicago, who is blocking funding for higher education, not him. He said Madigan is content with the state of higher education.

The most productive road students can take to increase funding for higher education is to express their concerns to Madigan in Chicago, Thompson said.

SA Sen. Mark Brierton said Thompson has spoken out twice in favor of a tax increase and twice Madigan did not allow the House of Representatives to vote.

“It (the protest) was aimed at the wrong person. The number one stumbling block for funding in this state is Mike (Madigan),” Brierton said.

Jim Skilbeck, special assistant to the governor, said Thompson was not offended by the protest. He said Thompson supports funding for higher education, and if students want to help increase funding, they should talk to their legislators in Springfield.

Protesters waited to talk to Thompson for about an hour and a half. They held signs stating “Funds Up” and “Education Cuts Never Heal.”

The protesters also chanted “5 percent is not enough” in reference to faculty salary increases being cut from 8 percent to 5 percent.

Radtke said the protest represents students across the state. She said if enough students express their concerns, legislators will be pressured to increase funding for higher education.