Students partake in simulation

By Nissin Behar

Five NIU students interested in state governmental procedures attended the Intercollegiate Model Illinois Government simulation in Springfield March 3, marking the first participation of NIU students in this event.

The students make up the Northern Illinois Axiom annex, an organization formed this year to learn parliamentary procedures, such as how a bill becomes a law.

The group included NIU art student Jeff Huber, Matthew Garrison, head delegate and co-founder of the NIA, Chris Hudders, Paul Schumann and Jon Bloomberg. The two academic advisers are political science professors Kevin McKeough and Mikel Wyckoff.

“Illinois representatives are happy to talk to you, especially students interested in politics,” Huber said.

The government simulation is handled like a moot court. The students assess a bill that was made into law the previous year and discuss whether the bill should have been passed or vetoed.

This year, a senate bill was discussed which states that “no faculty would be denied tenure solely on the basis of receiving three degrees from the same university.” The students passed the bill, as was done in the Illinois General Assembly.

The Model Illinois Government, which began 11 years ago, currently has four amendments and five articles. The MIG 1989 membership consists of 19 colleges and universities, including NIU, Eastern Illinois University in Charleston and Southern Illinois University in Carbondale.