Therapy program unique to Illinois

By Gail LaBarbera

NIU is the only school in Illinois with an accredited Marriage and Family Therapy program.

A division of the Applied Family and Child Studies emphasis, the program began in 1973 and was accredited about eight years ago by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, said Brent Atkinson, coordinator of the NIU Family Center.

The program teaches students how to become family therapists. Courses focus on the development of the thoughts and skills of family therapists.

Students learn family therapy through on-the-job training. Faculty members guide students by allowing them to help families by using a brief therapy program. Students also listen to guest lectures, watch videotapes and participate in small group exercises.

AFCS coordinator Robert Keim said both AFCS and family therapy graduates pursue careers as family therapists. Many graduates aspire to positions in the social sciences and program development, he said.

“The long range of careers open in these fields are as good as or better as other fields,” he said. Six students currently are enrolled in the MFT program, he said.

Atkinson said about 25 students apply to the MFT program each semester. The program focuses on one-to-one supervision and training so faculty can choose the most qualified applicants for the program.

Applicants accepted into the program usually have a background in child development and family studies and have worked in social services, he said.

The NIU program was awarded accreditation because it has the resources to offer intense supervision. “NIU tends to go for national accreditation with their programs,” he said. He gave examples of accredited NIU programs, such as the clinical psychology and clinical diabetes programs.

The MFT program includes a 45-hour Master of Science specialization. A 30-semester hour degree also is available in Applied Family and Child Studies, and is suited for people who have worked in a clinical setting or plan to receive on-the-job training. The Applied Family and Child Studies program does not include faculty supervision.

The program is a 19-month process for students who will can complete at least two calendar years of concentrated study. The faculty seeks students from a variety of backgrounds, races and nationalities to enhance the family therapy field.

The program offers the maximum amount of education and training in marriage and family therapy approved by the AAMFT. Family therapy programs are offered at most major U.S. universities.