SA to study ISA’s view of Illini split

By Tammy Sholer

NIU’s student government might investigate the possible disaffiliation of the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana from the Illinois Student Association.

Phill Buoscio, interim senate speaker, said Sunday he and SA President Paula Radtke will attend ISA meetings in Springfield Friday and Saturday. He said he will evaluate the ISA’s position and report to the SA Senate.

A decision on whether to form a committee to investigate the U of I’s proposed withdrawal from the organization will be made either by the senate or the speaker, Buoscio said.

Greg Kurth, U of I Student Government Association community affairs chairman, said U of I might withdraw from the ISA because the Illinois group lacks organization.

ISA has worked well with the Illinois Board of Higher Education but not with the Board of Trustees, U of I’s governing board, Kurth said, adding he will request U of I’s Student Government Association to approve the holding of a referendum to disaffiliate from the ISA.

e said the request should be voted on in the next two or three weeks. If the request passes, a referendum will be held April 4 and 5.

ISA Field Director Brian Monahan said people attending the ISA’s weekend meetings will discuss U of I’s report denouncing the ISA.

In other matters, the SA debated Sunday whether the Gay/Lesbian Union should receive supplemental funding. The senate approved $95.45 for the GLU.

GLU representative Brian Subatich said the GLU spent its allocated funds on AIDS Awareness Week and Unity Through Diversity, two events in which the organization has never before participated.

Controversy over financing the GLU stemmed from what senators called irresponsibility of the group’s budgeting. Sen. David Burke said the GLU spent money that the SA did not allocate to them. The group cannot spend money it does not have, Burke said.

Sen. John Martin said if the SA approves supplemental funding for these groups, a precedent will be set for other groups to come before the senate requesting additional funds.

Subatich said he knew that sponsoring the awareness week would pose a financial problem, but he said the group would put funds into the event despite the consequences.

Sen. Tom Link said the GLU sponsoring the awareness week and participating in Unity Through Diversity are “special circumstances,” and the group should receive funds. However, he said if a group spends money irresponsibly, they should not receive extra funds.

An SA statement accompanied the approval of the supplemental funding that stressed the importance of financial planning for the upcoming year.