Winter brings flu epidemic to NIU

By Gail LaBarbera

This winter season has brought yet another flu epidemic to NIU and the DeKalb area.

Changing weather conditions have forced students to spend more time indoors. Rosemary Lane, University Health Service director, said a flu epidemic occurs every year because cold winter weather forces people to be “cooped up.” The changing weather conditions cause students to become more susceptible to the flu virus, she said.

A local epidemic began last week, Lane said, estimating that one of every two students who came to the health center for treatment Wednesday had flu symptoms. There is no exact count of NIU students known to have the flu, but there are “enough cases for (it to be) an epidemic”, she said.

Multiple flu symptoms can occur within 24 hours. Flu symptoms include a fever of 101 degrees or higher, muscle aches and fatigue, she said.

The flu is a virus that will go away by itself, Lane said, but if it persists for more than five days, professional help is advised. The virus weakens the body’s defenses, making bronchitis and ear infections more likely to occur, she said.

The flu can be especially dangerous for high-risk patients with heart or kidney problems. Lane said high-risk patients should have a flu vaccine, but added it is unnecessary for healthy students.

The only precautions students can take to shun the virus is to stay healthy and avoid fatigue, chills and alcohol, she said.

Lane said the best recovery method for the epidemic is to “get as much rest as possible and drink water and fluids.” Tylenol is the most-recommended drug for reducing a fever, she said.